Sun | Nov 19, 2017

Burials still banned at Belvedere Cemetery - Mayor

Published:Sunday | August 13, 2017 | 12:00 AMJodi-Ann Gilpin
Williams

Pointing to a resurgence in persons wanting to bury relatives at the Belvedere Cemetery in Red Hills, St Andrew, Kingston's mayor, Delroy Williams, has issued a reminder that no burials will be accommodated there.

Speaking with The Sunday Gleaner following a meeting of the Kingston and St Andrew Municipal Corporation last week, Williams said the body will be partnering with the police to monitor operations at the cemetery.

"We wish to use this medium to remind persons that the Belvedere Cemetery in the Red Hills division has been closed for over seven years now. That cemetery had been declared closed as it has reached its capacity. As such, no new burials are allowed there," said Williams.

"Persons seem to trying to find ways to accommodate more burials. It is just to keep reminding them and putting it out there, just in case people are contemplating. The information I have is that people have been trying to, so we just want to put a stop to that," said Williams.

jodi-ann.gilpin@gleanerjm.com